10.20.2011

POKHARA, Nepal

Hi all! We got into the Nepal on Monday via train and bus from India. We stayed the night in the border town, which the Lonely Planet calls a "dusty hell hole" and I'll agree. But we took a 9 hour bus ride to Pokhara the next day and have been enjoying ourselves since.
The bus was a local (non-tourist) bus so it made a lot of stops and got really crowded at times, but it wasn't too bad. At one point a goat got on. I thought maybe it was a pet because the goat owner was petting it's head lovingly, but then they got off at a butcher shop soooo, goodbye goat.
Pokhara is a great town. We're staying in Lakeside and it's touristy, but not obnoxious. It's just the amount of relaxation I was looking for. It's a great place for trekkers. You can start the Annapurna circuit, and many others from here. We considered doing a short 3 day trek but aren't very prepared and opted to just take it easy. I would love to come back to Nepal sometime and try a real trek, maybe the 12-14 day Annapurna or even the trek to Everest base camp.
Yesterday we went to nearby Sarangkot to watch the sunrise over the Himalayas. It was magical, the photos don't come close to doing it justice. Then I hung out in a lounge chair outside our lodge all day and read a book, and I have a similar plan for today...like I said, we're relaxing. Tomorrow we head to Chitwan National Park for a couple days, and then on to Kathmandu. I wish we had more time here, but am definitely glad we made the trip!

Trying to fit with our backpacks in a bicycle rickshaw.

R.I.P Mr.Goat

Phewa Lake in Pokhara

Oli charming cobras

The sunrise. like I said, the photos don't get it.

P.S. little brother got engaged! Congrats Brian and Kelsey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment